Familiar Faces

These past 2 weeks have been filled with familiar faces from home. The beginning of March my friend Alexis from school visited after she went on a trip around Europe. Barcelona was the last stop on her trip before heading home and I am so excited that I got to show her around.
We walked to the Arc de Triomf

Breakfast at Milk
(looked better than it tasted)

We had to get tapas and of course Sangria
On Friday I went on a trip with my program to CodornĂ­u for a cava tasting. Cava is the Spanish version of champagne. We got to go on a tour of the grounds and the facility they use to make the cava, which included underground cellars used for the fermentation process. At the end we got to taste two differnt kinds of cava.

After the visit to CodornĂ­u we went to a local restaurant for a calcotada. A calcotada is a Catalan barbeque where they cook Spanish onions called calcots over a fire. Once they're cooked you peel back the blacked outer layers, dip it in romesco sauce, and eat it by dangling it over your mouth. It is a very messy traditional lunch so they gave us bibs and gloves to wear. The lunch wasn't just calcots though! We had about 10 courses of pan con tomato, potatoes, meat, and several other dishes.

Top level of the cava facility

Barrels where the cava is stored

The downstairs cellar with the bottles of cava fermenting

Our guide brought us on a whole tour of the cellar by a train

The view was beautiful

We got to wander around and explore a little

The buildings were beautiful

So thankful I found such amazing friends

On Saturday Alexis left but my parents came, after a few hiccups. I was supposed to meet my parents in Oslo on Saturday and stay there with them until Tuesday when we would all come back to Barcelona. Unfortunately, their flight on Friday night out of JFK got cancelled due to bad weather and the only flight they were able to get before Monday was into Madrid so we weren't able to make it to Oslo. (Just means we will have to come back to Europe again and do Oslo then!) On Saturday they landed in Madrid and then flew to Barcelona. It was so good to see them, it made me realize just how much I had missed them! The first day was spent getting some delicious seafood and showing my parents my apartment. They went to bed early since they had a long day of travel!

Day 2
We started by going to an amazing brunch place, Brunch and Cake by the Sea. The SuperSandwich is one of my favorite meals in Barcelona! We then walked along the beach until it started raining. Afterwards we headed to the history museum to see the Roman ruins and the cathedral that was built over them. 
SuperSandwich

Walking along the beach

Cathedral built over the Roman ruins
Fountain in the city center at night


Day 3: On Monday we went to the Cathedral of Barcelona which has been around since the 11th century. Afterwards we walked to the Arc de Triomf and Parc de la Ciutadella before I headed to class.
The inside of the Barcelona Cathedral

The downstairs of the Barcelona Cathedral

The ceiling of the cathedral looking very worn 

We went to the top of the Cathedral

Views of the whole city from the top

The top of the cathedral

Mom and Dad at Arc de Triomf

Pond at the Parc finally filled with water

Usually a waterfall but it was under construction

At the top of the Cathedral
Day 4: On Tuesday I had to study for a midterm test (which I passed!!) in the morning but we went to the Sagrada Familia before my class. The Sagrada Familia is a work of Gaudi and it was started in 1882. It is still not done but will be by the 2026.

The amount of details is amazing

The walls are mostly stain class windows

We went as the sun was setting and got to see
the light shine in through the windows

The center beams are "trees" and the ceiling
is the leaves and branches 
Me and dad
The other side of the Sagrada Familia



Day 5: On Wednesday we went up to the top of Mount Tibidabo and it was a beautiful day, except for all of the wind. We went inside the church that sits at the top of the mountain and then climbed all the way up to the top for some amazing 360 views! Afterwards, we walked around las ramblas and found a cute little quiet square with restaurants and a fountain.

There is an amusement park at the top of the mountain

The views from the top of the church

We could see all of Barcelona and the Mediterranean 

I could look at this view all day!

We had a great view of the mountains

Panoramic from the top of the church

I love the mountains since I can't see them at home

The city of Barcelona!

It was a little bit windy out

We climbed to the Jesus statue at the top

Exit of the square by las ramblas

Day 6: Thursday we did a bus tour of Barcelona which helped me to understand better where things were and see some things I hadn't seen before. It was very windy and rainy out though. A few stops we went to were the Olympic stadium, Camp Nou, and Passeig de Gracia. The Olympic stadium was huge but more or less abandoned and not in use anymore. Camp Nou is where the FC Barcelona soccer team plays. Passeig de Gracia is a large street with tons of shopping, restaurants, and a few of Gaudi's houses like La Pedrera and Casa Batllo.
Track and soccer field

Site of the Olympic Games

Building that holds the track

Telecommunications tower

FC Barcelona Bus

La Pedrera

Casa Batllo

Delicious paella!


Day 7: On Friday we went up to Montserrat. I had already been to Montserrat and was amazed by the views and I knew my parents would love it too! We took a cable car up to the top where we got lunch, took a look at the monastery, and hiked to the top of mountain.

Cable car to the top

View once you get to the top

This is only 30 minutes outside Barcelona

The mountain is beautiful!

Gold room in the montasery

The whole room was beautiful


Inside the montestary

That building s where the cable car let us off at

Halfway up the hike!

Views of the montestary

Top of the mountain
The views from the top are so worth the hike up!


Day 7: This was my last day with my parents before they headed off to Paris. We spent the day just wandering around Barcelona and eating at one of my favorite places, Alsur Cafe. At the end of the day we went to the base of Montjuic and watched the magic fountain show.

Macaroni waffle
The fountain changes colors and goes along
with music

This is a big attraction, you can see all of the
people on the other side of the street.

The show lasts for an hour but we only stayed for 15 minutes.

On Sunday morning their train to Paris left early and I had to say goodbye. Their visit here went by so quickly, I wasn't ready for them to leave. It was amazing to have them here and show them some of my favorite places but it made me realize how much I had missed them. I cannot wait to see them again in just a couple short months! 

While I miss the comforts and people from home I am not quite ready to leave Barcelona yet. There are so many things I have yet to do and places I have yet to go. I am looking forward to seeing my family and friends at home once I get back but for now, I am loving every second I get to spend in this beautiful city!

Comments

Popular Posts