Exploring Barcelona and Valencia

The weekend of February 9th me, Allie, Lillie, and Natalie decided to stay in Barcelona and explore our city a little more. On Friday we went to an AMAZING place called Brunch and Cake by the Sea. I got the chicken supersandwich and it was delicious!! After that very filling meal, we went rollerblading on the beach. It was a beautiful day and we all had so much fun but got tired after less than an hour! On Saturday we went to Montjuic where we saw the castle and olympic stadium. The castle had beautiful views of the ocean and Barcelona from the rooftop. Barcelona hosted the summer Olympics in 1992 and have the old stadium open for people to look at. Overall it was an amazing weekend and I fell even more in love with Barcelona!
Our food at Brunch and Cake

Chicken Supersandwich

Rollerblading at the Port

Trying not to fall over while rollerblading

Views of the Mediterranean from Castell de Montjuic 

Catalan flag flying high

Views from Montjuic

Olympic stadium from 1992

Outside the Olympic stadium

Last weekend me, Allie, Lillie, and Natalie took a train to Valencia and it is my favorite city so far! I almost liked it better than Barcelona. We stayed in a beautiful neighborhood close to the train station and the city center. On Friday we spent the day walking all around the city center. On Saturday we got up and rented bikes and I think it was the best way to see the city. We were lucky and got good weather the whole time we were there. We went to the ciudad de las artes y ciencias which was probably one of the prettiest buildings I've ever seen. Then we rode our bikes to the beach where we got lunch. On our ride home I flew off my bike but I was luckily fine besides a few scrapes and bruises. That night we went to the old city towers and climbed to the top for an amazing view of the whole city!
Coffee machine on the food car of the train

Our neighborhood in Valencia
Buildings in the city



Street perfomer

Cathedral de Santa MarĂ­a de Valencia

Fountain in the city center

"Eat good meat, drink aged wine, and you will shine"
Unsure on the exact translation of the last part

La ciudad de artes y ciencias was surrounded by water

The water was such a beautiful color

The structure was huge and packed with people

So lucky it was a sunny day!

Restaurant where we ate lunch

View of the city from the tower

Panoramic view of the city

Outside the ciudad de artes y ciencias

Biking along the beach


These past couple of weeks I have also been able to explore Barcelona through my art class. My professor brings us on a field trip to a new museum or a cool part of town every day. My favorite museum so far has been the Picasso museum. It is interesting to see how his style had changed throughout the years.
Ceiling of the Picasso Museum 

The streets of Barcelona

Agbar Tower by my apartment
This past weekend I went to Montserrat, a mountain right outside of Barcelona. It was about a 2 hour train ride there but it after missing a train it quickly became a 3 hour long journey. Once we made it to the base of the mountain we took a cable car up to the top which gave us an amazing view! Up on the top we hiked a little bit to a cross and overlook area. It was a sunny day and the temperature was perfect. We then made our way back down to the monastery and looked around inside. The inside was gorgeous and everything had so much detail. It is crazy to think that they built this amazing monastery in a mountain with no machinery. I am looking forward to making another trip to Montserrat with my parents while they are here. 
The yellow thing is the cable car to the top

View from where we got off

The mountains here are beautiful

Nice to escape the chaos of downtown Barcelona

The rock that Montserrat is made of is very unique

The monestary


If you look close you can see the cross at the top

Entrance to the Monestary

The ceiling of a room in the Monestary

The whole room was covered in gold tiles

The church

Everything had so much detail

This large circular room had beautiful windows

The large stain glass windows 

There were hundreds of candles lit

View from the cable car on the way down

Montserrat from the bottom of the mountain

 

Friends I went to Montserrat with

It was a long drop down...

Admiring the beauty of this place I get to call home

Thank you all for reading my blog! I will be sure to update more often but I am having so much fun and can't wait to come home and share my stories with everyone. 

¡Buenos Noches!


Comments

Popular Posts